The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) is a partnership between the University of Maryland and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The JIFSAN internship program allows undergraduate students at the University of Maryland, College Park to participate in research at FDA facilities, including the Harvey Wiley Building in College Park and the MOD1 & MOD11 facilities on Muirkirk Road in Laurel, MD. Internships are available in many areas, including but not limited to biology, chemistry, biochemistry, entomology, microbiology, nutritional sciences, toxicology, public health, and a variety of non-laboratory-based projects. Internships require a time commitment of 8-10 hours/week during the semester and 30 hours/week during winter term and summer.
Update as of February 2021: Internships may be partially or entirely conducted virtually/remotely given the current COVID-19 pandemic. Ability to conduct work in person or at all is subject to change should unprecedented conditions arise. Students should ensure to read any announcements sent by JIFSAN and the University as it pertains to academic policies and procedures; similarly, students should ensure to read announcements from their FDA mentors regarding FDA policies and protocols as it pertains to conducting work at a federal worksite.
A complete listing of current JIFSAN internship projects is available on our INTERNSHIP DATABASE.
- Enrolled full or part-time as an undergraduate, degree-seeking student at the University of Maryland, College Park
- Completion of two college semesters prior to internship start date
- Willingness to devote ~30 hours/week during summer and 8-10 hours/week during spring and fall semester
- Foreign Nationals: In order to gain access to FDA facilities individuals must be able to pass a background check that is predicated upon their residency in the U.S. for three full years (a total of 36 months) during the last five years.
- Submit a completed Application Form, current transcript, and resume to Dr. Kaci Thompson at email@example.com
- Internship Program - Important Dates (2020-2021)
- Internship Program - Important Dates (2021-2022)
- Internship Program and Payroll Forms
Please do not reach out to FDA mentors directly in regards to JIFSAN internships. All queries and applications should be routed to Dr. Kaci Thompson or the JIFSAN office.
Coordinator, Payroll and Benefits
Dr. Kaci Thompson
Director of Undergraduate Research and Internship Program