Monitoring and Impact Evaluation to improve the delivery and impact of food safety capacity building efforts
- • Clare Narrod (lead)
- • Eric Owusu (2021-present)
- • Ahsanuzzaman (2021)
- • Xiaoya Dou (2017-2020)
- • Mark Miller (2015-2017)
- • Daniel Voica (2014-2015)
- • Tarik Chfadi (2012-2014)
This work focuses on developing methods to monitor the impact of Food Safety Capacity building efforts in the short, medium, and long term. Measuring the impact of training and capacity building efforts on food safety is important as it can:
- • document and examine past efforts;
- • justify and galvanize future efforts;
- • identify new focus/improvements for future efforts
Research projects and links to website:
- • Establishing a monitoring and evaluation program to capture impact of JIFSAN's training, 2012 to present.
- o Collaborators: Clare Narrod (lead), Xiaoya Dou, Mark Miller, Tarik Chfadi, Jim Rushing, Judy Cooper, Mike Janke, Mike Schwartz
- • Assessing the effectiveness of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) training in Maryland in driving GAPs implementation on farms.
2014-2016; Project part of Shirley Micallef AFRI funded project:
“Reducing On-Farm Enteric Pathogens through Cropping Methods and Improved Food Safety Trainings.”
- o Collaborators: Clare Narrod (lead), Xiaoya Dou, Mark Miller, Tarik Chfadi, Justine Beaulieu, Donna Pahl
- • Partnered with the Grocery Manufacturing Association (GMA) to Develop and Implement a Monitoring and Impact Evaluation Program to Monitor the Impact of HACCP Training in CARICOM Countries .
2016 -2017; Funded by EU through the10th European Development Fund (EDF) for the Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Measures Project
- o Collaborators: Cara Wychgram (lead), Clare Narrod, Weiyi Zhao, Brian Beddard
- • Established a monitoring and evaluation program to capture the impact of international produce safety capacity building for lead trainers and growers, 2017 to present, funded through FDA Cooperative Agreement
- o Collaborators: Clare Narrod (lead), Xiaoya Dou, Michele Humiston, Anthony Rizkalla, Nicole Conklin, Gretchen Wall, Ana Marisa Cordero, Eric Olsen, Amber Nair, Lindsey Anna, Taryn Sjursen, Susan Laine, Katheryn Hughes, Jim Rushing, Judy Cooper
- • Partner with Dev Tec Measuring impact of APEC laboratory capacity building, 2014-2015, funded by USDA Foreign Agricultural Service
- o Collaborators: Reuben Hermoso (lead), Clare Narrod, Tarik Chafdi
- • Partner with IICA to Validate Supplemental Training Materials on the Produce Safety Rule, 2021 to present, funded through FDA Cooperative Agreement
- • Partner with the USDA Economic Research Service (ERS) to analyze the Statistical Properties of the Purchase-to-Plate Tool, 2021 to present, funded through ERS Cooperative Agreement
- • 2021 C. Narrod, X. Dou, T. Chfadi, M. Miller, “Participant Characteristics and Learning Outcomes: Lessons from International Food Safety Capacity Building.” Food Policy, Volume 102, July 2021, 102105
- • 2020 C. Narrod, A. Stumpf, X. Dou, “A Public-Private Partnership for Data Sharing on the Impact of Food Safety Capacity Building, Joint Institute Food Safety and Applied Nutrition Advisory Council White Paper, Coming out of the 2018 Advisory Council Symposium, October 18-19, 2018 Beltsville, Maryland.
- • 2019 C. Narrod, X. Dou, M. Miller, C. Wychgram, “Public Private Partnerships in Food Safety International Capacity Building,” Chapter 14 in Food Safety Economics-Incentives for a Safer Food Supply, (T. Roberts ed.) Springer.
- Working Papers
- • 2018 C. Narrod, X. Dou, and C. Wychgram, “Lessons from JIFSAN’s Collaborative Training Initiatives Promoting Country Driven Food Safety Capacity Building in Bangladesh and India,” Report prepared for World Bank study on making the Case for Food Safety Investment in Developing Countries. (January).
- • 2018 C. Narrod X. Dou, and C. Wychgram, “Impact of ILSI Fellowship Program with JIFSAN in Building Risk Analysis Capacity at CSFA,” Report prepared for World Bank study on making the Case for Food Safety Investment in Developing Countries. (January).
- • 2018 C. Narrod and C. Wychgram, “Monitoring and Evaluation of Preliminary Findings from HACCP Capacity Building Efforts in the Caribbean,” Report prepared for a World Bank study on making the Case for Food Safety Investment in Developing Countries. (January).
- Selected Presentations
- • 2022 E. Owusu and C. Narrod, “Monitoring and Evaluation of the International Produce Safety Rule Trainings and Planned Behavioral Experiments,” “Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California (August)”
- • 2022 C. Narrod and E. Owusu, “Monitoring and Evaluation of the International Produce Safety Rule Trainings and Planned Behavioral Experiments,” “International Association for Food Protection Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (August)”.
- • 2020 C. Narrod and A. Stumpf, "Public-Private Partnership for Data Sharing on the Impact of Food Safety Capacity Building," CFSAN Regulatory Research Lecture Series (Jan).
- • 2019 C, Narrod, X. Dou, M. Miller, T. Chfadi, D. Pahl, J. Beaulieu, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of Basic Good Agricultural Practices Training by University of Maryland Extension,”Agricultural and Applied Economics Annual Meetings, Atlanta, Georgia (July).
- • 2019 C. Narrod and X. Dou, “JIFSAN’s Training and Monitoring and Evaluation Program: Case Study of GAP’s Training in Latin America,” Society for Benefit Cost Analysis, Washington DC (March)
- • 2018 C. Narrod, M. Miller, T. Chfadi, “Public Private Partnerships in Food Safety Capacity Building: Case Examples,” In selected session Targeting and Evaluating Investments in Food Safety in Low- and Middle- Income Countries, Agricultural and Applied Economics Annual Meetings, Washington DC (August).
- • 2017 C. Narrod, X. Dou, M. Miller, T. Chfadi, D. Pahl, and J. Beaulieu, “Measuring the Effectiveness of Good Agricultural Practices Training Through Maryland Extension Programs on Maryland Farmers,” Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association Annual Meeting, Arlington, VA (June).
- • 2016 C. Narrod, M. Miller, & T. Chfadi, "Effectiveness of International Food Safety Train-The Trainer Programs in Good Agricultural and Aqua cultural Practices: Evidence from Survey Instruments," Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Boston, Massachusetts, Poster Session (August).
- • 2015 D. Pahl, T. Chfadi, C. Narrod, C. Walsh, D. Martin, S. Micallef, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of Food Safety Trainings by Determining Factors that Influence Grower Adoption of Food Safety Certification Practices,” International Association for Food Protection, Portland, Oregon, Poster Session (July).
- • 2013 C. Narrod and T.Chfadi Invited speaker on JIFSAN’s metrics work at the American Association Post-Conference Workshop: Economic Analysis and Food Safety: The Food Safety Modernization Act; Economic Research Service, Washington, DC, August 2013, www.aaea.org/2013am/schedule-of-events/pre-and-post-conference-workshops#foodsafety
- • W. Jones, C. Narrod, A. Stumpf, "Building Safe Food Systems Starts with Partnerships,” Agrilinks.
- • C. Narrod, A. Stumpf, W. Jones, A Public-Private Partnership to Promote Food Safety,” Food Processing, May 25, 2021.
- • C. Narrod, A. Stumpf, W. Jones, “Data Systems for Sustainable Solutions for Food Safety,” Agrilinks.
- • M. Badrul Amin and C. Narrod, 2021 “Improving Capacity in Bangladesh to Detect Fecal Pathogens in Aquaculture,” Feed the Future Fisheries Innovation Laboratory, Success Story