What is JIFSAN
The Institute is the foundation of public and private partnerships that provides the scientific basis for ensuring a safe, wholesome food supply as well as provide the infrastructure for contributions to national food safety programs and international food standards. The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) was established between the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the University of Maryland (UM) in April 1996. The Institute is a jointly administered, multidisciplinary research, education and outreach program. The Institute fosters the missions of FDA and the University through the creation of partnerships to increase the quantity and quality of research, which will provide the basis for sound public health policy. It promotes food safety and human nutrition and animal health and production through an integrated academic and regulatory science program. This includes multidisciplinary research, outreach and educational programs, and policy studies. The participation of FDA scientists in JIFSAN collaborative research programs related to FDA's mission and the consultative arrangements with other scientists associated with FDA, the Institute, and the University ensures the critical science-based foundation needed to establish sound food safety policy. In addition, opportunities exist for collaborative projects with other Federal and state agencies, private industry, consumer and trade groups, and international organizations with mutual interests.Return to top
Why does JIFSAN offer training courses?
To advance sound strategies to improve public health, food safety, and applied nutrition using risk analysis principles through collaborative research, education, and outreach programs.
To be a premier source of scientific information and education programs on food safety and applied nutrition that enables the development of sound public health policy and reduces the incidences of food-related illness.
III. Key Objectives
- a. Increase the global knowledge of effective, available practices that promote food safety throughout the supply chain.
- b. Enhance the development and promote the use of risk analysis models and tools for decision making processes associated with food safety and applied nutrition.
- c. Promote collaborative research efforts related to risk analysis, food safety, and applied nutrition.
- d. Broaden the research educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students at University of Maryland.
- e. Promote the development of private and public partnerships to improve food safety.
What food safety risk analysis courses are offered by JIFSAN?
The Core Courses teach the fundamental terminology, knowledge and approaches used in risk analysis. This competency is essential for all food safety professionals.
- Overview of Risk Analysis
- Food Safety Risk Management
- Food Safety Risk Assessment
- Food Safety Risk Communication
- Epidemiology for Risk Analysis
- Quantitative Risk Assessment
Where are classes offered?
Depending on the number of registrants, classes are offered either on-site at the JIFSAN facility located adjacent to the University of Maryland College Park campus or one of our partner hotel and conference facilities. This information is available at the time of registration. Lodging is NOT included in the price of your registration. You are responsible for making your own lodging reservations. When the course is conducted at an offsite hotel and conference center it is HIGHLY recommended you make arrangements to stay at that facility and ensure availability prior to registering for a course. If you have any questions please contact Antoinette Barbour at email@example.com.
Do you offer customized or personalized training programs?
JIFSAN has developed customized in classroom and online training courses on risk analysis to meet the needs of selected groups of professionals with specific needs. If you would be interested in a customized training program, please contact Program Coordinator Anntoinette Barbour at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When is the registration deadline?
Generally, the registration deadline is two weeks before the start date of a class, however there are a limited number of spots for each class and the classes are filled on a first come first served basis. Therefore, you should complete the registration and payment process as early as possible for each class in order to reserve your spot. Registration is not considered complete until full payment is received. Your registration may be cancelled if the class fills before full payment is received.
Are materials (books, notepads, pens, etc.) included in the registration fee?
For classes that we host we provide to you a pen, notepad and course textbook. We also provide laptop computers for use during quantitative courses that have all necessary software pre-loaded. These laptop computers must remain in the classroom at all time and cannot be removed from our facilities.
How do I obtain a certificate of completion?
Each participant will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the last day of the course.
How much does it cost?
Each course has a different cost, detailed pricing can be found on our registration page.
Do you offer any discounts?
We offer discounts when you register for our Core Program or pay in full before March 31st of the course year.
When is payment due?
You should complete the registration and payment process as early as possible for each class in order to reserve your spot. Registration is not considered complete until full payment is received. Your registration may be cancelled if the class fills before full payment is received. For online courses, participants will not receive login information until payment is received. Please keep in mind your registration is not complete until your balance is paid in full. We have a limited number of seats and in order to reserve a seat all dues must be paid in full. If you have registered but not paid you are not guaranteed a seat.
JIFSAN prefers credit card payments at the time of registration however other payment methods are accepted. These include but are not limited to Wire Transfers, Purchase Orders, Checks, etc., for more details please email us. In some instances, JIFSAN may request a credit card to hold your registration if another payment method is delayed. Specific instructions are available when you register.
What is your cancellation policy?
International Registrants: Advance payment in full is required to process international applications. If we have not received payment two weeks before the start of an on-site class, we reserve the right to cancel your registration.
An additional fee of US $50.00 will be assessed for those who register after the registration deadline. Your registration may also be automatically cancelled if we have not received payment by this date to make room for those who are on the wait list.
Cancellation and Substitution Policy
- Up to 31 days prior to course start date: Refund of amount paid minus US$50.00 processing fee
- 30 days to 7 days prior to course start date: Refund 50% of amount paid
- Less than 7 days prior to course start date: No Refund
- All Registration fees will be fully refunded in the unlikely event JIFSAN cancels the course.
- Substitutions are accepted at any time before the course starts. Please contact Program Coordinator Anntoinette Barbour at email@example.com in advance to notify us of any substitutions. There are no fees for substitutions.
Can I transfer my registration to another person or course date?
Substitutions are accepted at any time before the course starts. Please contact Antoinette Barbour at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to notify us of any substitutions. There are no fees for substitutions.
What payment methods do you accept?
You can pay with any major credit card online when you register for the class. You can also make arrangements for other types of payments (check, wire transfer, etc.) instructions will be provided when you register.
Does the registration fee include lodging?
Lodging, airfare and ground transportation are not included in your registration fee. You are responsible for making all reservations for your accommodations during your visit. This includes airfare, hotel and rental car if necessary.
Do you provide assistance with hotel reservations?
While we cannot make reservations for you, we can provide any assistance or advice you need in order to make your stay more enjoyable. Please email the Program Coordinator Anntoinette Barbour at email@example.com and we can put you in contact with someone who can help you through the process of making housing or transportation arrangements.
Do you provide assistance with hotel reservations?
No, transportation to and from the hotel is your responsibility.
What time do classes start and end?
The first day of class we recommend you arrive at 8:30am to familiarize yourself with the facility and receive your class materials, however in general classroom classes begin at 9:00am and conclude at 5:00pm (EST).
Are there any breaks?
There are breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon. The lengths and times may vary by class depending on the instructor and the course. Light break outs and lunch are both available on site.
What meals are provided?
Lunch is provided on-site daily for each class. Morning and afternoon snacks along with water, coffee and tea will be available.
What do I need to do in order to prepare for the class?
Some courses require a basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel. You may want to familiarize yourself with our course description page so you can come fully prepared. These tutorials are related to the week-long Quantitative courses.
Do I need to bring my own laptop?
You may bring a laptop or tablet if you wish there is normally no fee for wifi in the classroom, however for the Quantitative Risk Assessment courses JIFSAN provides the use of a laptop computer and all the necessary software for the course. These laptop computers cannot be taken from the classroom. We also ask that you leave all food and drinks outside the classroom when using JIFSAN laptop computers.
Whom do I contact if I have questions or problems?
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Antoinette Barbour by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JIFSAN is open daily and visitors are accepted by appointment only.
For more information about visiting please call the JIFSAN offices directly at 301-405-8382.
Successful Course Completion & Certificate Requirements
Participants must Attend each day of the course, recording attendance on the sign-in sheet provided by the instructor, and participate in group and individual activities throughout the course in order to be awarded a certificate of completion.
Food Safety Risk Analysis Training Program Payment Options
- 1. Credit Cards – to be processed over our PCI compliant secure registration server. Please allow 4-6 business days for all transactions to post. All transactions will appear on your statement as “UMCP Conference & Visitor.” a. MasterCard b. Visa c. American Express d. Discover
- 2. Check (US Dollars) a. Checks should be made payable to “University of Maryland” b. Please include a copy of the confirmation letter with your check to identify the registrant. c. Send your payment to: University of Maryland, Conferences & Visitor Services –Erin Mosley, 4321 Hartwick Rd., Suite 500 College Park, MD 20740 USA
- 3. Purchase Order a. If you are requesting an official invoice for payment, you must submit a purchase order or training authorization form identifying where and to whom our invoice should be directed to. b. We will not process nor be able to provide an invoice until we receive a purchase order. c. Purchase orders can be faxed to 301-314-6693 or emailed to email@example.com
- 4. Wire Transfer a. Download detailed instructions on how to process your bank/wire transfer here. b. Submit a copy of your wire transmittal document showing your transfer via fax at 301- 314-6693 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions regarding payment should be directed to Erin Mosley at email@example.com or 301-314-0324.
For a printable pdf of the outline above please visit: